already have a construction
review of this kit by Francesco Giovagnorio and of the sister kit,
L2H143 Kfz.69 with Pak36, by Al Magnus, while a preview can be found
For that reason I will focus only on same salient points that I encountered
while building this kit myself.
kit is very fragile, both due to the nature of the plastic and the
tiny size of the parts. Add to this that some parts have flash that
needs to be removed and you have a recipe for a headache.
is rather difficult, due to the parts lay-out, lack of locater pegs
and confusing instructions.
small details are missing (already mentioned in the other construction
reviews above, e.g. tow hooks, mudflaps, width indicators, turn
indicators, rearview mirror). As I was building a very late war
vehicle, I thought I could get away with this. I did add the licence
plate to the front bumper, though.
marks are visible in some areas.
MG is poor to say the least.
windscreen is a (fragile) plastic frame with a clear sheet that
needs to be added to the rear. As this didn't look very convincing
in my eyes, I tried to make inserts and failed miserably. I tarped
over the windshield and folded it flat as the next best thing.
are no instruments on the dashboard, neither in plastic or decal
form. I made mine from punched discs with decals from a set for
aircraft instrument decals from APC Decals.
though I am sure I installed the driver's compartment where it should
be, the cargo compartment sticks out too far to the rear. Optically,
an easy remedy is to just extend the tow hook to the rear so at
least it sticks out from beneath the cargo bed.
wheel hubs are separate, which should have been nice, if they hadn't
been so fragile. They are all marked A27, while those for the spare
wheels are clearly different.
have no idea what parts A15 are and where they should go.
halves of the engine radiator are slightly different.
can see through the engine compartment around the front wheels.
I blanked this area off.
driver's seat are separate parts. Easy too paint, but a bit too
wide to fit.
B10 (which I think are fuel or oil tanks) are provided twice. Most
period photographs show only one fitted.
exhaust pipe was replaced with something sturdier.
to try to replicate a late war vehicle as seen in the picture below,
without trying to stick too close to the original. For that I used
the new CMK Drilling set, which has already been previewed here.
CMK Drilling set
As noted in the
preview, this new set is a major
improvement over the previous attempt by CMK. Nevertheless, some remarks
can be made.
- The attachments
of the shoulder supports are too fragile and best replaced by something
step 3 of the instructions the guns are shown upside down. Nothing
wrong with that, just be aware. Assembling the gun feed and ejector
channel in this phase might make it impossible to install the guns
afterwards as these parts might interfere with the frame. Waiting
until the guns are installed on the frame first might make it impossible
to attach these small parts afterwards.
gun barrels are very thin, perfectly straight and hollowed out at
the end. I've never seen such perfection in resin before.
are quite a few spare parts: ammo box, gun barrels, ...
the PE parts for the straps to the ammo cases is very delicate work.
I would have been willing to trade in some detail if these straps
had come molded with the boxes. Given the exquisite detail that
CMK has been able to accomplish on other parts, this would have
been a very acceptable alternative.
kit looks good on the sprues but is a female dog to build. The Dragon
kit of this vehicle is vastly superior in that respect. In fact,
it just requires shaking the box to fall together. (Editor's note
and disclaimer: this is just the author's way of saying that the kit
is easy to build. On The Way will not be held responsible if shaking
the box does not result in a fully constructed model or if that process
damages the part in any way.)
The new CMK Drilling set is a very nice representation of the Drilling
gun with a lot of potential and highly recommended.
sample kindly purchased by author.