Kit #: 371
|Review by Jean-Claude Glineur - glineur.jc(at)gmail.com
Translated and edited by Rob Haelterman
This model represents
a mid-production M4A1 with the monobloc transmission armor, without
direct vision blocs and with the small hatches for the driver and
2. Wheels and Suspension
I have replaced the open roadwheels with these from Trumpeter's kit. The central opening is enlarged to allow the axes to fit.
The suspension springs
(pieces 43A) are very difficult to cut from the sprues without damaging
them; a new cutter blade and some careful sanding wil be necessary.
As these parts are very small, this is not the fun part of this
When mating the outside
of the bogies (pieces 7A and 18A) to the inner sides, one notices
that the assembly is not straightforward. The locating pins for
the springs have to be cut back a little (pieces 7A and18A) and
the opening for the return rollers has to be widened a bit (piece
6A) before gluing them to the suspension arms (pieces 7A and 18A).
The total width of the tracks, with extensions, appears correct. The problem is more likely situated in the dimension of the inner part of the track-links.
In my opinion we can
use the UM tracks with some reservation, due to the width issue,
or possibly replace them with those from the kit M4A1 «Normandy»
from Dragon, which provides two types of tracks:
The German company Modelltrans proposes in its catalogue a resin set of T-51 style tracks (plain rubber block). I used these on the kit.
Moulded in several
parts, the assembly demands care and patience to get all pieces
The PE part for the
bolted connection between hull and transmission cover was cut from
its sprue with caution and carefully filed on the edges. This part
was glued with CA glue between hull and transmission cover.
The construction of
the turret poses no major problems.
5. Painting and decoration
UM proposes three painting
|Back to UM Kit List||Back to Construction Reviews|
Article Last Updated: 13 August 2009
|Back to Home Page|